DT 26852 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26852 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

There are some pictures of last week’s S&B meeting in Todmorden on the blog’s Facebook page .

Across

1a           Priestly robe to get by (4)
We start with a double definition – a semicircular, sleeveless, hooded vestment worn over the alb or surplice by priests and a verb meaning to get by or survive

3a           Joint supporter a poisonous creature (5)
… the supporter supports part of the female anatomy!

8a           Fixers sort Blues out, poking nose in (15)
These fixers are derived from an anagram (out) of SORT BLUES with a slang word for the nose inserted (poking … in)

11a         Helicopter going round North, moving stealthily (8)
Put a well-known Westland helicopter (3,4) around N(orth) to get a verb meaning moving stealthily

13a         Dangerous situation for soldiers in large body (6)
… these soldiers are the uncommissioned ones

19a         Appreciate where batsman is safe (8)
A verb meaning to appreciate or grow is, when split (2,6), where the batsman needs to be to avoid being run out

25a         Supported by the church in former time (4)
A charade of a two-letter word meaning being supported by, as in supported by the shelf, and the Church of England gives an adverb meaning in former time

Down

1d           Cleansing, hoovering up cat’s hairs (9)
This cleansing or purification comes from an anagram (hoovering up) of CAT’S HAIRS – Hoover® is a brand name and should be capitalised!

3d           Flower in singer Dion’s make-up (9)
This flower of the buttercup family which produces yellow flowers in the early spring could give, if split (3,3,3), the make-up of the first name of the Canadian girl who sang My Heart Will Go On

6d           Cover a SW river in container vessel (9)
Cover the A from the clue and a river in SW England which forms part of the boundary between Devon and Cornwall with a small container, formerly made of tin, to get this vessel with twin hulls in parallel

16d         Amount carried puts poor horse in strain (7)
To get this amount carried as freight put a poor horse (3) inside a strain or manner

18d         Having good time in Bedfordshire town, one’s keen for more (7)
Start with G(ood) and then insert T(ime) inside a Bedfordshire town famous for its airport to get someone who’s keen for more

20d         Spy a toff (5)
This spy is built up from the A in the clue and a toff or man of good social position

The Crossword Club opens at 10:00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: { Nicholas } + { Tsar } + { cossie } = { Nicolas Sarkozy }

94 Comments

1. Bob Hallsworth
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I would say that “hoovering” was a verb … I hoover, you hoover, she hoovers …… Oh good, I don’t need to then (sorry!)

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Hi Bob – welcome to the blog.

• Heno
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Help please Gazza, how can I get my Chicken back? Mary suggested putting in gravatar site & name of icon. I don’t know the icon name, but I pasted this from the gravatar site..

But the Website field isn’t long enough.

• mary
          Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Heno, when you first ‘got your chicken’ you would have put a name for the gravatar, this should be all you need not that long list of nos etc. cant you remember the name?

• Heno
            Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Hi Mary, I’m afraid I can’t even remember having to name it.

• Heno
              Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Perhaps it was called chicken :-)

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

On the other hand it should be long enough

• collywobbles1
            Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Bonjour Mary, how can I change my avatar?

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Dave explains it in his FAQs section. Click on the tab at the top of the page and then scroll down to the How to I change my avatar section.

• collywobbles1
                Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS

• Kath
          Posted April 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t like my “little face” too much but, given the trouble that everyone else seems to be having at the moment, I think I’m going to stick with the one that I’ve got! It all sounds far too complicated for me anyhow! :smile:

2. Colmce
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, although as always 4 letter words caused more trouble than they should.
    Thanks BD for hints and to compiler for a very pleasant puzzle.
    Right back to yesterday’s puzzle.
    Miserable weather in the Garden of England today :(

• Caravaggio
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I agree, Colmce, because I’ve spent longer than I really should have looking at two four-letter answers. I echo the sentiments contained in your second sentence but, unlike you, we’ve no rain in Cheshire at the moment and the forecast is good for today – unlike tomorrow…

3. Rod Ash
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I liked today’s task …not mega difficult but comfortable. I particularly liked 3a, 4d, 6d and 13d.
    I had to think about 8a for a while. Thanks and have a good day all.

4. Brian
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, not that easy with some clever clues although the last in was 6a! Best clues for me were 11a and of course 19a, will even forgive the religeous clue for the cricketing one :-)

5. dickiedot
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Enjoyable, liked 3d and 17a thanks BD for hints and the setter. 13d in the Quick Crossword is surely wrong the web site is accepting phony as the answer, the clue is Stand in, agent (5) answer proxy or am I losing it?

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I did exactly the same! It looks like a mistake.

6. Roger
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Ah, that’s more like it! Only 6A, 7 and 23 to go. Favourite clues 11 and 4. I really like clues that throw us off because the pronunciation of a group of letters in the answer is different to that which is expected.

7. Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

THe usual slightly tougher challenge from the Saturday Mysteron – I did like 8a and `11a. Thanks to them for the puzzle and BD for the hints.

8. Sheepdog
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you all found this fairly simple, I’m still struggling with the right hand side, not on the same wavelength (or missing the obvious) so far today. A hint for 17a might help

• Sheepdog
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Ooh, suddenly things are looking better – a penny dropped somewhere!

• Kath
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Re 17a – The definition is an American novelist. Think of “The Catcher in the Rye” . The second two letters in the answer are the christian name of a gangster with “Capone” as a surname.

• Sheepdog
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I had just worked it out – I had not thought of him, with the letters I had I was thinking of Stephen (or is it Steven) King

9. Kath
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this very much and found it quite difficult. First read through of all clues yielded only four answers. Then I got going and was held up only by my own stupid mistakes! I spent far too long trying to make 8a an anagram of the first three words of the clue. I missed the anagram indicator in 1d and tried to fit a “tom” into it somewhere. I’m not sure that I really understand the answer that I have for 21a. Favourites include 8, 11, 22 and 24a and 2, 3, 7 (very apt for today’s weather!) and 18d. With thanks to today’s setter and BD.
    Do I dare to have a go at the NTSPP?
    If it goes on raining for much longer I’m going to cry! :sad:

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I have just done the NTSPP and do recommend it. Prolixic is otherwise engaged this weekend so I am going to work out the whys and wherefores over lunch and have a review ready later on.

• collywobbles1
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the above Kath, the author has been on my lips all day and I just couldn’t get it out

• Kath
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Glad to have been useful!

10. Addicted
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Didn’t do as well as Kath – first read through produced only one solution – and that is a cricketng clue which I normally hate! Then I got 22a and I was off, but still pretty slowly. Took me a while but I did finish without hints. Had same problem as Kath with 8a!! Particularly liked 3a, 4d and 6d. 6a last in and not 100% sure I have the right answer? Thanks to setter and BD.

• Toadson
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Much the same for me .. think in terms of ‘law’ for 6a.

• Senf
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Same for me on 8a. Took way too long for a 15 letter answer. The problem with trying to de-anagram the first three words was that there did not seem to enough vowels in them. Then I got enough of the downs for the light to come on! A good puzzle especially after the preceding two. Did it without electronic help, just took a while – but that’s OK for a Saturday.

11. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

It was all going so well and then ………

A clue for 13d would be more than gratefully received !

Apart from that I started digging up a patch of lawn to turn over to vegs, got a lot of the turf off and the heavens opened. Got the makings of a nice little swimming pool now ! Drought ? Not here in Purbeck !

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Hi DP
      13d you need a 6 letter word for long list with the first letter of crashes inside this comes after a Motorway altogether giving you an agressive attitude

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, got it ………. and finished !

Pleased to say it’s still far too wet to ruin my back with any more horticural activities ! Back to carving my bits of wood for Purbeck Art Weeks Festival at the end of the month instead.

• collywobbles1
          Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Mary, it’s the long list that’s foxing me

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Take out the motorway and the first letter of crashes from your answer and then look the word that is left up in the dictionary.

• collywobbles1
              Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for a second time CS

12. Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Afternoon Dave and everyone, I did most of this in the car on the way to Cardiff services to meet someone but got stuck in bottom right corner and had to wait until I got back home to get help from my ‘electronic friends’ to finish it, although I didn’t need the blog hints today, thanks to Dave anyway :-) a two to three star for me, as others say those four letter words caused some problems , no real favourite clue , but overall an enjoyable crossword, no rain today but still cold, tomorrows forecast is atrocious!

• Silveroak
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Mary I have this vision of you driving along looking at the crossword and not the road – say it isn’t so. DT Xword responsible for distracted driving:) I actually found this the easiest one this week. Perhaps my brain cells finally woke up. Our weather in Chicago is cold and rainy too. Thanks BD for the hints but I didn’t need them this week, but I always enjoy looking at them anyway.

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Hee hee, tis not so, Silveroak, I was not the driver :-D

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

One of my brothers lives in New Mexico, the weather there is beautiful but they do get awful dust and sand storms

13. Jezza
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Re 3d – I thought the middle three letters was a reversal (up) of one’s genetic code (make), or am I way off track?
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I did look at that possibility, but either there is no reversal indicator unless up performs double duty or you need to stretch, as you suggest, the meaning of the word make.

• Jezza
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

The more I look at it, the more I doubt my suggestion. I am sure your original analysis is correct.

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

what is the rule about ‘double duty’ Dave I’m never sure?

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Me too, I looked at it both ways, I think it has to have ‘ones genetic code’ or else where do those three letters come from?

• RogBrown
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

The make-up of her name – “***” *** “***”.

(Sorry Roger, I had to edit you because you are giving away the answer. You will find that there isn’t any cake in the naughty corner because I am saving it for a funding raising event at work on Monday – CS)

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Also, this is a repeat of the hint given in the main post.

• RogBrown
          Posted April 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Whoops! Sorry.

• Kath
      Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

That’s clever – it certainly didn’t occur to me!

• Heno
        Posted April 29, 2012 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Ah, now I get it.

14. Wozza
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Could anyone help with a clue for 23? I’m sure I’m being thick. I’ve got everything else including the two link letters and still can’t work it out…

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

It s a double definition I think Wozza

• Wozza
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I guessed that but still struggling. Oh well you can’t win them all.

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

base in the sense of vile, worthless; purpose as in aim or what the ntention is.

• Wozza
            Posted April 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Ok, think I’ve got it now, starts with an *? Meaning of base which threw me. Many thanks.

W

15. Annidrum
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this today and didn’t find it too hard. Last one in was 19a ,of course the cricket reference & the blinkers went on, and it really was a very straightforward clue. I liked 8a ,11a & 4d. Thanks to setter & BD. :smile:

16. pepsib1
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Quiet here today everybody must be out in the hot sunshine!

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

We are all too busy building arks down here!!!

• pepsib1
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Here too, really sue, just wishful thinking on my part :-)

• pepsib1
        Posted April 29, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

The ark is afloat!!!

17. Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I had two left at the end that took a while and found it a good challenge for a Saturday. Thanks to BD and to the setter. Just finished my Black Building test so will now have a pint and some grub – been a long day.

18. David
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

My last one in is 13ac and I just don’t see it… I know there is a hint I’m not getting it. Can someone explain it?

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

the dangerous situation can be a figurative one or a boggy area. Insert the usual crossword abbreviation for soliders that are not officers into a large body or expanse.

19. Dawn
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

On first read through nothing clicked and have been working on this now for two hours plus and still only got top half in :-)

Thanks to Big Dave as ever for the hints and to the setter, please can you confirm if my answer to 17d is right – ‘Sooties mate and um’ ?

A nudge for 22a would be gratefully received and it might only leave me four to go!

• Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

your 17d is not correct. You are looking for a type of ship. Insert A (from the clue) and the abbreviation for Mine into a word meaning navigate or drive.

22a It is an anagram of the first two words, the last three being the definition.

• Dawn
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Crypticsue, 17 d now resolved.

• Dawn
        Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Another two gone in.

20. Little Dave
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Busy week so have been unable to leave comments. By Saturday standards I thought today’s was better than usual and a tad more difficult. 11a was clever as was 24a. And a point for the mighty West Brom too. Thanks to the setter.

21. Little Dave
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Typing error hence new post and usual picture!

22. Heno
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the hints. Enjoyed this a lot but found it quite tricky in places. Favourites were 8 & 11 across. Still don’t understand 3d, had to use electronic help to get this. What has make-up got to do with it? Like winter in Central London.

• Kath
      Posted April 29, 2012 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Just had friends here for supper – all gone now and clearing up largely done – the rest can wait until tomorrow so came through to look before we go to bed. 3d – the definition is a yellow flower. The make-up bit is deliberately misleading – ie it’s not a cosmetic. I have to assume that you know the christian name of the singer whose surname is Dion – she was in the film “Titanic”. The first three letters of the answer are the first three letters of her first name, the last three letters are the last three letters of her first name so if you link them together with a three letter word meaning “with” you have a nine letter yellow flower. Blimey – how convoluted does that sound?

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Not bad considering the hour Kath :-D

23. Heno
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Testing Chicken

• Kath
      Posted April 29, 2012 at 1:15 am | Permalink

… still no chicken!!

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 6:22 am | Permalink

I’ve found him!

Try using your @btinternet address instead of the @me one.

• pepsib1
      Posted April 29, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Welcome back chicken!

• pepsib1
        Posted April 29, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Oh dear now I’m pepsib1 again!!

24. cruisenuts96
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Nearly done. Enjoyed this one. Help please with 21 a and 4d ? Not sure 13 a is correct. Thx for the clues.
    Northants is very soggy today!!

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 8:54 am | Permalink

21a Admitting husband to be caught by hoodlum (6)
      The definition is admitting or conceding as in “admitting that I’m no good at cricket, I still scored 20 runs”. The abbreviation for husband is contained (caught) in a hoodlum.

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

4d Transport supremo playing for money (7)
      The transport supremo is (3,4). The playing for money is done, for example, for people in a queue for the theatre.

• cruisenuts96
        Posted April 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

of course!! Thank you Gazza!!

25. Weekend wanda
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Thought much harder than Friday’s Giovanni. Not sure I agree with Big Dave’s hint for 16d. Surely this is the alternative spelling of the answer with the musical sense of strain? My last one in was 21a! I also justified 3G with genetic makeup as I see did some other bloggers. Before I post with one of my hoarded stamps what is the view re the spelling of 16d!

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

There’s no “U” in the answer to 16 down!

Does this help?

• Weekend wanda
        Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Yes it does. But if a U was present would not the four letters around the old horse be a good synonym fir strain (in the musical sense). Works for me but in this sort of situation I do not know how you distinguish. I cannot equate the other four letter word with ‘strain’. Thanks Dave. I find this fascinating but seem to be in a minority of one!

• Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

You’re not alone, Wanda. I think the answer could have been either, but the on-line site only accepts the non-U answer.

• Weekend wanda
            Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Gazza. I do feel cheated now though as I really thought I had the right answer!

%d bloggers like this: